AHS Timeline

1916
Church of England High school was founded for girls by Archdeacon Walton. The school originally occupied premises at Bachelor Hall, Simmonds Alley, with 19 students and 3 faculty members and later moved to Mollie House (presently Barclays Bank). This property was once owned by educator advocate, Edmund Passee.

1926
The 1st Grenada Brownie Pack and Guide Company started at the school.

1934    
The House system was introduced.

1946
The school moved to Tanteen occupying one of the barracks on the G.B.S,S. compound along with 3 barracks on the lower level. The name also changed to Anglican High School.

1952
The School moved to a new building on its present site, along with the building that now houses "Bottom School."

1954
The management of AHS came under the auspices of the Sisters of the Community of Jesus, the Good Shepherd and Sister Superior became Principal.

 

1970

Mrs. Jennifer Hosten-Craig won the Miss World Title.

1972
Fire destroyed the Main Building on October 15.

1973
1st phase of the new school building was completed with the second phase due to begin in 1974.

1974 
Mrs. Celia Clyne-Edwards won the Grenada Island Scholarship.  The first female to accomplish that feat.

1976
434 students and 22 members of staff

1988
Two classrooms added, funded by the Caribbean Development Bank.

1990
Student body consists of 474 students and a faculty of 19. There is a dire need for greater accommodations.

1991
Growth needed - The only laboratory serves Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Integrated and Agricultural Sciences. The Home Economics room, built to accommodate 15 students, now holds 40. There are 12 classrooms. One is housed in a hut that is used for storage during the construction of the present building. An old wooden hut from 1946, now a high-risk building, still houses 4 classrooms.
PROPOSED RENOVATION AND EXTENSION: 16 Classrooms, 4 Laboratories, Home Economics Department Commercial Arts Room, Multipurpose Hall, Staff Facilities. Principal's Office. and Library. The objective is to accommodate 600 students.

75th Anniversary celebrated with a reunion.

 1995
 Computer Laboratory built—funded by                the Past Pupils Association (local and overseas).

 1996
 Another phase in the rebuilding of the school.  Classroom Block housing four classrooms built.  This was funded by Past Pupils Associations (local and overseas) and matched by the Government of Grenada.

1998
 Refurbishment of school funded by the World Bank.  New roof and ceiling for the main school, and renovations to Home Economics Room and Laboratory.

 1998
 
580 students and 21 members of staff

 1999
 629 students and 22 members of staff

2000
660 students and 25 members of staff
Miss Samira Noel awarded the Grenada Island Scholarship together with Mrs. Akima Paul-Lambert of the St. Joseph’s Convent, St. George’s

2001
Introduction of Accounting and Technical Drawing to the curriculum.  Extension to Staff Room completed; Three class rooms and a washroom available for use in the newest block.
663 students and 28 members of staff

 2004
680 students and 31 members of staff;  September 6th, 2004, number on roll -  654.
September 7th, 2004 the entire main building and annexes of the school were severely damaged by Hurricane Ivan.  October 14th, 2004 school resumed on a shift system; Number on roll -  589
1st place for the fifth time in the seven-year history of the RBTT  Young Leaders programme
The school placed third at the regional level.

 

2006

2nd place in the RBTT Young Leaders programme.  The school placed second at the regional level. AHS celebrates ninety (90) years of unbreakable service to the education system in Grenada, on September 18, 2006.

 

2007

3rd place in the RBTT Young Leaders programme.

 2008

 1st place in the St. George’s University Knowledge Bowl Competition; 1st place in the RBTT Young Leaders programme; Cerrise Nedd placed first at the CXC exams at the National Level.  Ms. Nedd also received the T. A. Marryshow Cup Award and the A. A. La Grenade Shield.  The first student on the island to have received both awards in the same year.  Amana Hosten received the U.S. Embassy/ CXC National Award for the most outstanding; CSEC candidate in Grenada.  
This was award was introduced in 2008.

 

2009
First phase of rebuilding the school afer Hurricane Ivan, was completed.  It was funded by the Government of Grenada and the World Bank.   1st place in the RBTT Young Leaders programme.

 2010
Amana Hosten and Cerrise Nedd were awarded Island Scholarships. 
Second phase of the school’s refurbishment was completed.  Clothing and Textiles, Home Economics: Management and Electronic Document Preparation and Management were introduced to the curriculum.

 
2012
2nd place in the Grenlec debates.

2013
3rd place in the Grenlec debates

2014
Scotiabank Inter-Col Champions.

2015
1st place in the Inter-Secondary Netball Competition - ‘A’ Division.

Scotiabank Inter-Col Champions.
50
th Anniversary AHS Inter-house sports

 


School Quote

‘every student is expected to take her academic studies seriously at all times;’ and  ‘every student should regard herself as a citizen of the Anglican High School Community, who live together, pooling and sharing their qualities of mind and character with a view to utilizing and developing the resources of their common habitation for the good of all.’

~ AHS Handbook given to every new student