Anglican High School (AHS) or Church of England High School, (CEHS) was the brainchild of Archedeacon Walton who desired to teach girls of “the Church of England Persuasion”. So on September 18th 1916 with 19 students and three (3) staff members, the doors were opened at Bachelor Hall, Simmons Alley
. Lessons were taught to both ‘boys’ and girls at pre-primary “Prep” and only girls graduated to the senior level. As the student body grew, they moved to Lamollie House - present site of First Caribbean International Bank (FCIB). In 1946 with a staff of about six (6) and approximately 100 students, the school moved to the GBSS compound and remained until 1952. It was also in 1946 that the CEHS became AHS. The school has been located at its present site since September 1952 with a population of approx 250 students which increased to 367 in 1959. It should be noted that the transitions from CEHS to AHS and the “Prep” into only Secondary School for Girls, were met with no demonstration; no strikes and no public display of opposition; -an exercise which forms the ‘norm’ today.